BN ready to field candidates if six Bersatu seats declared vacant, says Zahid

BAGAN DATUK: Barisan Nasional is prepared to contest six parliamentary seats currently held by Bersatu if they are declared vacant, says Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi (pic).

The coalition chairman and Umno president said these seats used to be Barisan’s.

“We will discuss with the unity government leadership to decide on this if the vacancies occur,” he told reporters after attending the Northern Corridor Economic Region (NCER) mini showcase programme here on Sunday (March 3).

He said Umno and Barisan candidates should be given priority to contest in these constituencies.

However, he said that Parliamentary regulations and the Federal Constitution do not provide for the Bersatu MPs concerned to be stripped of their seats despite efforts by Bersatu.

He said Bersatu seemed to be having a taste of its own medicine as one of its leaders had previously taken Umno MPs into Bersatu.

This follows an amendment to Article 10 of the Bersatu Constitution, as approved at a special party general meeting, to immediate strip the membership of any elected representative who pledges support that contradicts Bersatu’s directive or stand.

Bersatu president Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin said the party would send a report on the amendment to the Registrar of Societies (ROS) and it would be enforced with immediate effect if approved.

The six Bersatu MPs who have expressed support for the Prime Minister are Datuk Syed Abu Hussin Hafiz Syed Abdul Fasal (Bukit Gantang), Mohd Azizi Abu Naim (Gua Musang), Datuk Zulkafperi Hanapi (Tanjong Karang), Zahari Kechik (Jeli), Datuk Iskandar Dzulkarnain Abdul Khalid (Kuala Kangsar) and Datuk Suhaili Abdul Rahman (Labuan). – Bernama

source